Mordechaj Anielewicz Monument- Mound (Miła Street, on the corner of Dubois Street)
In this place, there was a bunker, at the pre-war address 18 Miła Street. It was one of the hundreds that were built during the Uprising in the ghetto. At the end of the Ghetto Uprising there was a staff of the Jewish Fighting Organization. There were over three hundred people in the basement of the building. As a result of betrayal, on May 8th 1943 the hideout was surrounded by German troops. When the Jews were called to surrender, the bunker left the civilians. About 15 people managed to escape through the only uncovered by the Germans exit. For those insurgents who have taken unequal fighting, including the commander Mordechaj Anielewicz, the bunker has also become a grave. In a critical moment, some Jewish fighters decided to commit suicide. In 1946, at the initiative of the Central Committee of Polish Jews, a memorial mound called the Anielewicz’s Mound was erected at the site of the destroyed bunker from the ruins of Jewish Miła Street. In 2006, a square around the mound was cleaned, and a obelisk of Hanna Szmalenberg’s design, made by Mark Moderau, was placed at the foot of the mound. An inscription on it was written in Polish, English and Yiddish by Piotr Matywiecki. There are also 51 names of fallen Jewish insurgents killed here, whose identities have been determined.