Statue of the Victims of The Tank Trap
On August 13th 1944 german heavy mine transporter ‘Bogward B IV’ exploded at the Warsaw Old Town. During the german storm the Nazis were bringimg to the polish capital city more and more of heavy armory. Probably on August 13th Bogward B IV was tested for the first time by Germans. It was a small trapeze shaped caterpillar which was carrying 1,5 tone explosives at its front. Its major task was to come near, drop the load and fall back. In those situations of emergency after evacuation of its driver, explosives could be detonated with the vehicle. On Sunday, August 13th Poles captured a small german tank. Happy people went out on the streets celebrating, without realization of the danger. Suddenly it came to construction detachment inside the tank. Seconds later it exploded, taking lifes from almost 300 people. Detonation, blinding flash, shockwave and straight after- terryfying silence which after a moment changed into howls of pain and crying for help. Pieces of human flesh were everywhere as well as the smell of a burnt human body. It was one of the most tragic accidents during the Warsaw Uprising. Up to this day it is a mystery how exactly it happened. August 13th is celebrated in Warsaw as an Old Town’s day.